Sunday, March 26, 2006

Pohang and Bogyongsa Temple


Gavin's Tae Kwan Do academy went on a field trip Saturday to Bogyongsa Temple. It located near Pohang. We loaded up around 9 am or so. I rode with my neighbor and two of her kids. Since Court was working I also brought along both girls. Evidently Abby gets car sick. She threw up twice along the way. We stopped at a rest area to see if they had t-shirts but there were none so she wore her coat. The rest area was super nice! So different from the ones in the US! It took us around 2 hours to get there but it was a nice drive.


We had to park and then walk through a small town to get to the temple. I think we could have parked outside the temple but it was such a nice day I did not mind the walk. The town mostly had restaurants.


Here is the entrance to the temple area. I think it was also some sort of park because we had to pay to enter. There are also hiking trails and the purpose of the trip was to hike up to the various waterfalls. There are 12 in all.


Here Gavin is with some spring water. There was some sort of ceremony to drinking it I think but I never managed to get it right. Dip the water toss it, dip it again and drink (?) and then dip and toss I think?


Since I had the girls with me we just stayed in the temple area. Gavin went with the rest of the group. This was actually fine with me because it gave me a chance to walk around and look at things at my leisure and take what ever pictures I wanted to take. Above is the main building in the temple.

I love all the colors and artwork on the buildings. You could hear the wind chimes going and it was so beautiful and peaceful there.


This was inside one of the buildings.

I saw these cuties stuck in the crook of a tree.


Here are the temple bells. You can see Maddie and Abby walking around it.

Abby made a friend. She and this little boy played with the rocks for awhile.

Maddie made a friend too! Now Maddie is very, very shy. This monk came and was trying to talk to her and she would not talk back. Eventually (and I am not sure how) they ended up sharing cheetos and he was even feeding her at one point! This was the highlight of my day! :)

Here is Abby in front of an old Pagoda.

We decided to walk up the trail a ways. I had the stroller so we could not go to far.

We ended up at a dam and sat and looked at the water for awhile. Then we walked back down. My camera died so we walked into town to search for batteries. I could not find any. So we walked back and had ice cream outside the temple entrance.

Song and the rest of the group met up with us and we went back into the town for dinner. I had bibimbap which is rice with vegetables and an egg. You mix it all up and it is very, very good! Then we headed back home. It was a wonderful day and I had a great time.

And lastly...I bring you this. Why would anyone wear these shoes to go hiking??

4 comments:

The Eller Family said...

Hi Meagan, a friend just told me about your blog and I am really enjoying reading about your life in Korea. My husband moved to Sacheon, S. Korea in March and we will be joining him in August. I am a stay at home mom of 4 children. My husband works for an american aerospace company. I am nervous and excited about moving to Korea. I love your pictures and thank goodness they have a Costco.

Becky

The Eller Family said...

Hi Meagan, a friend just told me about your blog and I am really enjoying reading about your life in Korea. My husband moved to Sacheon, S. Korea in March and we will be joining him in August. I am a stay at home mom of 4 children. My husband works for an american aerospace company. I am nervous and excited about moving to Korea. I love your pictures and thank goodness they have a Costco.

Becky

Meagan said...

Becky thank you so much for the positive feedback! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I know I had a million before coming to Korea and no one to ask. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello, Meagan,
I'm in Wisconsin, about to accept a job teaching in Pohang.
It's good to read your posts!
How close is your post from Pohang?
Any experience with Korean public schools?
Thanks for the blog.
Sean