Saturday, March 11, 2006

Daegu Tour Part I

Daegu Yangnyeongsi Exhibition Hall

The Chaplains office on Camp George tries to schedule family support activities. I have never attended any until yesterday. Mrs. Webb...who is the outreach person here told me about a bus tour they had scheduled. There were quite a few people that want including Dee and Sheila. We caught the City Tour bus at Camp George around 9 am.



The bus was large and roomy with more than enough space. This was the first time I have ever taken a tour like this.


Abby and Maddie all ready to go on the tour. I am glad they allowed us to bring our kids because otherwise I could not have gone.


On the bus was a tour guide. She spoke very good English. She told us a little about where we were going and I was glad to have her along. Our First stop was the Exhibition Hall.


This was a neat gate leading into the courtyard where the building was. It was very pretty and peaceful out. Also yesterday was just gorgeous!


Here is where we entered the building. Lots of steps up as we were on the second floor. Here is a little info about the place that I found from this site.

This is a three-story building on the Street of Yakjeon-golmok. The first floor is a wholesale market of oriental medicine ingredients, to which medicinal herbs from all across the nation are brought between the first and fifth day of each month. The second floor has various medicinal herbs on exhibition, as well as several interesting life-size displays depicting scenes of oriental medicine clinics. The third floor is provided as a venue for traditional performing arts.

We only visited the second floor.


As soon as we walked in we were offered some tea. It smelled really good and I tried it. At first I liked it but after a few sips...I don't know it was like it coated my throat and stayed there. Here I am holding my tea. They also sold medicinal products.


Some bottles with Ginseng root in them I think? At first glance I thought it was some sort of squid or octopus.

After the first room with the tea there was a small museum. It had lots of old books, all sorts of pots etc. for making medicines and a room filled with the various animals they used. We were not allowed to take pictures. I took the one above before I knew it. It is some sort of medicinal text that is from the 1200's. We saw the skin (?) of an animal called manis pentadactyla. I thought it looked a bit like an armadillo because it had a hard outer shell. I wrote down the name and when I came home I found out what it was. Gotta love the internet! You can click here to find out what it is too.

Here is a shot from the outside balcony of the lower courtyard. The smell of the tea was starting to overwhelm me so I took the girls and we went outside.


This fountain was really neat and Abby wanted her picture taken. I would love to come back when the fountain is working. It is probably shut off still for winter.


An entryway into the area we were at. I love the bright colors.


Here is a close up of one of the statues.

This bus was parked near this church. It turns out this is Daegu Jeil Church.

This is the first protestant church built in Daegu. I read that it was founded in 1897.

Overall this was my favorite part of the tour. After looking online I saw all sorts of things I would like to look at in the area. I will have to go back and visit again sometime before we leave Korea. Be sure to check back soon because I have two more posts to go along with this one! :)

No comments: