Monday, March 20, 2006

Costco and Kalbi lunch

Abby is sick and I was up with her most of Saturday night. Finally got to bed around 3 am only to get back up with her at 6:30. Sue and Rob had invited me to go shopping with them on Sunday and I really wanted to go. Even though I was really tired I got ready and met them at the back gate around 9:30. ...and I went alone. No kids. I think that is the first time I have gone somewhere here without the kids or Court. WOW! It was nice to shop without the kids!

Sue has a Costco membership. It was like a little piece of heaven. For just a second it felt like I was back in the US.


I actually got to go up and down most of the isles. I was not too interested in the food stuff since we can get a lot of the same items cheaper at the commissary. I did end up with a big pack of kids shampoo/conditioner etc. since I have a hard time finding that sort of thing on post.


I ran across these condoms...hmmmm interesting.

Sue did not want her picture taken. I got a huge tray of muffins, a bag of frozen mandu, a pineapple, bunch of bananas, 3 shirts for Maddie, a shirt for me, a Dora DVD set for Abby and For Gavin I got two book sets...one Scooby Doo and the other Clifford.


Then we went downtown to this restaurant. It was across the street from Home Plus. This was my first time eating in an actual Korean restaurant. Usually we just go to Walmart or Home Plus and eat there.

Inside the restaurant. You have two options for seating. One is at tables with really comfy chairs. The other is in private rooms on the floor.

Here you can see the rooms. I would have like to eat in there but Rob does not like to sit on the floor.

The middle of the table has a hole in it. The waitress removes the hole and brings steaming hot coals and sticks them in.

You get a plate of food to cook. This is the beef that has been marinated. Also some yummy mushrooms.

Then you stick on the grill and wait for it to cook. There is a bowl of bean paste (?) and some ginger (?) slices.

While it was cooking we ate some salad.


Here is some sort of something. I am not sure what it was but there were suckers on pieces of it so I passed the plate to Sue. After the meat is cooked you put it on large lettuce leaves, add rice or what ever you like roll it up and eat it. It was very, very good. We also had kimchi which I ate and liked. A plate with cut up carrots and apples that had some sort of white sauce on it. It tasted like yogurt. That was tasty. After lunch we went to home plus then back to Rob's apartment. Sue and I had coffee and chatted for awhile. Around 5 pm or so it was back home for me. It was nice to have a day away from the kids.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

oh my God!
How do I get to that store!? It looks huge!!

Meagan said...

http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/LocationTemplate.aspx?Warehouse=851

If you look at that site it shows a small map. I really have no idea how we got there since a friend drove. :( It was huge though and I really want to go back!

Queen For A Year said...

Hi Meagan:
My name is Ann I have been reading your blog for a while. I like it. I am a Canadian English Teacher in Korea. I first lived in Gumi and I got to know Waegwan and Camp Carroll and Camp Walker in Daegu pretty well cause I dated and am/was friends with a lot of NCO's.

I would have e-mailed you but I couldn't find a link. I travel to Daegu from Busan sometimes to Costco for my sour cream and cheese fix.

Why don't you check out my blog at http://queenforayear.blogspot.com and maybe drop me an e-mail at queenforayear@hotmail.com
Ann