Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Daegya Festival

On Monday we went to the Goreyong Daegaya Festival. This was a tour put together by the Chaplain and the Family Life Center here on Camp George. It was about an hour on the bus. We had the Daegu City Tour Bus again with the same interpreter as last time.

The girls love riding the bus.

There were a lot of school groups out for field trips. I loved the little kids with matching outfits and back packs. So cute!


There were a lot of vendors and tents set up on the street. The street was closed off to pedestrians only. Monday was a beautiful day so it was great to be outside!

Here is the big dome museum. Inside is a tomb. I am not sure if it was an actual tomb and they built the dome over it or if they just set it up museum style so you could see what it looked like. I asked and was told both things.

I could not use my flash so most of the pictures inside did not turn out very well. It was really neat though. Inside the various little toms you could see pottery or maybe a skeleton.
Here is an old instrument which I believe is called a kumungo?

Here is one of the mounds/tombs near the dome.

They had all sorts of fun hands-on activities geared towards children. We got to sit inside a fake tomb and be shut in.


The girls got to show off their super strength and build their own tombs.

Then they dug for treasure. They had fake bones and pottery buried for kids to dig up.

Both girls got Tattoos which looked like ancient petroglyphs.

Abby and Maddie both colored masks. Here is Abby modeling hers.

We were very popular with the kids. Here my friend Laurel is being mobbed by middle schoolers.

Lastly here is a picture of a Korean Grave yard. It was a good trip and I had a lot of fun. I came home with a huge box of strawberries. Gavin had to be in school that day which is too bad because I think he would have really enjoyed this! If you are interested in more pictures I have uploaded a ton to my Flickr site.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meg,

Just had a minute looking through Thad's website project and clicked on your's real fast. Sorry I haven't visited it in a while, but we've been very busy. The pictures are great and the shopping looks amazing. Can't wait to meet you.

Sandy

Anonymous said...

HEY MEAGAN I MISS YOU SOMETHING AWFUL, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN AND I CAN NOT BELIEVE HOW BIG THE KIDOS ARE GETTING. LOVE THE PICTURE OF THE APPLE BLOSSOM TREE, SO PRETTY AND YOU TOOK GREAT PICTURE. CALL ME SOMETIME PLEASE. HOME 712-256-0299 OR CELL 712-314-1190. LOVE YA