Saturday, March 11, 2006

Daegu Tour Part II

Museum of Medical Missionary Works

Welcome to part two of my little Friday adventure. This stop actually was two different buildings or houses near a large church and hospital. The bus parked on the street and we had to walk a few blocks. Our first stop was the missionary House.

Here is a little bit about it. All of the cards for the various items were in Korean and the pamphlet they passed out was also in Korean. I am glad we had a guide to tell us about some of the items.

The mission Museum was built between 1906 and 1910 when missionary work was carried out full-scale in Daegu. Traditional Korean and western architectural styles are in harmony in this building. Many missionaries, including Missionary Switzwer, have stayed at this building. Presently, various items such as bibles, remains from missionary works and pictures are on display.

Before we could enter everyone had to take their shoes off and put on these slippers.

Here is part of the tour group. Our Tour Guide was over to the left in a red coat.


Most of the items were religious in nature. We went upstairs. The floors were wooden and Maddie and Abby were bored and jumping about which made the objects in the glass cases jump too. Here Abby is looking at some sort of little pots.

More pottery and the girls were hopping along. Time to go outside with them! Down the stairs we went and this is where things went down hill for me. If you remember back to October I twisted my ankle really badly. Well it has never been the same and stairs can be a bit difficult. Add to that narrow, steep stairs that are wooden and me wearing slippery slippers on a waxed hardwood floor and I am sure you can guess what happened. Down I went. :( My ankle is doing "okay" but it hurts and is a little swollen. I bought a brace for it and it helps. I have just been trying to stay off of it as much as I can.


Outside a Bride and Groom-to-be were posing for pictures. They were kind enough to let us take a few shots. They get married April 2nd.

On to the next spot. We had about a half block walk to the next house. Which was the Medical Museum.

This building was established between 1906 and 1910. It presents to us the residential and lifestyles of American missionaries. In particular, it is an important historical architectural style at that time. At present, lots of medical instruments from the East and West used between the 1800s and 1900s are on display, which gives us a better understanding of the progress of medicine.

With a hurt ankle I was not going to do a lot of climbing so we just did a quick look at the downstairs.

Here are some sort of old medical devices.

Once again I found the outside more interesting than the inside. Here Maddie poses with some stone pots.


Another pot.

Here is the church that was near the museums.

Outside was a small cemetery. I took a picture of the sign in front for your viewing pleasure. I have always liked old cemeteries. If you look below they spelled Daegu.. Taiku. Interesting.

After this I hobbled back to the bus. Cleaned the girls up and fed them lunch. Then we were off to the next spot. I still have one more post to do on the tour so check back soon!

No comments: