Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Gavin is in First Grade!

Gavin is attending Taegu American School. It is on Camp George and run by the Department of Defense. He started Friday, September 16th. So far I think he really likes it. It is really hard for me as I have taught and worked in first grade classrooms. I try to not compare how this teacher works because I realize we all have our own individual teaching styles.

Here is a picture of the front of the school. It is really close to home. If there were not trees hiding the view I could see it from our apartment. We just walk and even if we had a car we would still walk it is super close. I can hear the kids at lunch/recess from our place. It is nice to be so close.

Here is Gavin after school on his very first day as a First Grader. He said it was the best day ever. He is surprised that not only is it school but it is fun too. I hope he continues to love school as much as he does now.


Open House

Last night was the open house for his school and I was very eager to get inside and see what it looked like. When we take Gavin to school he lines up out front so I had yet to see his classroom.

It is a small school. Maybe 600 students total and that is k-12 all in the same school. This is a shot of the hallway going into his classroom. It was packed with parents and students all coming to the open house.


His room is really tiny and crowded. I am used to Spencer and McCormicks creek rooms. They are about twice the size. This shot is part of the class. There was not much room to move around and take pictures.

Here is Gavin at his desk. They have tables of 4. He is at the front of the class room which I feel is a good thing! The books on his desk are the various books he will use this year. I think there are 3 literature books, health, science etc.

His class has centers. Gavin is showing me the computer center. There is another table of computers I think there were 4 in all? I could be wrong. He told me they have to work on the computers. No games.

Here Gavin is by the job chart. His job this week is the "standards helper." I am not sure what that is and he did not know either.

Here is Gavin and his teacher, Ms. Shinholster. She reminds me of my elementary school principal Mrs. Smith.

Gavin is super excited this year because he gets to go to art class. He also has P.E., music and library. I think they also do Korean Studies of some sort but I am not sure if his teacher does it or someone else.


The last two pictures are of the playground. It does not look so great from the pictures. But the equipment is new and under the play equipment the ground is padded/spongy. I just think the painted concrete looks tacky. Of course the fence all around has razor wire. Guess they don't want the kids getting out? LOL

No comments: