Saturday, January 07, 2006

Just need to gripe a bit...

Mostly this is just gonna be a grip about Gavin's teacher and the school...

Gavin started back to school this week. He had a pretty interesting week. He went back on Tuesday and of course his teacher assigned the usual amount of homework. This is for a first grader... 5 math pages, one science page, page of science vocab words to use in verbal sentences, write a book report, 10 spelling words to learn and he had to write each one in a sentence, paragraph about how he spent his Winter Break and he had to read at least 15 minutes each night. His teacher is an American and despite that we are in Korea he goes to an American school run by the department of defense. He gets all his homework assigned on the first day of the week and he turns it all in on Friday or the last day they are in school. He had 3 days to complete this. I have to tell you there are times we have not been able to get it all done. It can be a real struggle sometimes.

Gavin also had his very first ever spelling test this week. I asked him after how he did and he said he did not get two of the words written down because he ran out of time. And he told me he started crying in class because he could not get it done. WTF?! You think with the very first spelling test his teacher might be a little easy on them? You know it would be one thing for me to bitch, gripe and moan if I had no clue about how classrooms work...but I have taught 1st grade. I have given spelling tests before.


I thought I would take a break in the whining and bring you a picture of Abby. I took this last weekend. Abby got the bike from Santa. She and Gavin got to go downstairs and play at the playground for about an hour. It was pretty chilly so we did not stay too long.


I am impressed with Gavin that he can do the monkey bars. He can make it all the way across. Abby really wanted to get up there and try too.

So I took her to the swings. Now where is her Pa-Pa for times like these? She would have happily sat here and swung all day.

Ok...gripe pause is over with....

Earlier in the year Gavin told me a boy in his class bit him and did not get into trouble for it. I guess Gavin has had some problems with him and says he is a bully. I told Gavin to make sure he always has a friend with him and to stay away from him if at all possible. And to always tell a teacher. Last week this kid took Gavin's drink from his lunch and drank it. So Gavin had no drink at all. And nothing happened to the other kid. I mentioned this to his teacher and she gave me some crap about boys will be boys and blah-blah-blah.... whatever. I told Gavin that if this kid hits him again to beat his head in the wall! Yes I did! I told him that I ALWAYS expect him to protect himself and if someone is hurting him to fight back. Court and I told him he would get into trouble with the school for fighting but it is was one of the few times he would not get in trouble with us.

In other good news...the kids no longer have to wait outside in 19 degree temps to wait for their teachers before school. Friday they moved them to the gym. I was so glad because Gavin's teacher is always the last one out to get the kids. Ok I think I am done griping. Off to show you more pictures of the kids....


OK I just think Abby looks so cute in her panties. Both girls are brushing their teeth here. Everyone got new toothbrushes for Christmas.

Here is Abby in the "playroom". This is really an enclosed patio but I have made it into a play area for the kids. Half of it is set up like a house for the girls. We have acquired a few new items since moving here. Abby is modeling the latest in dishwasher models for little girls kitchens. LOL We got a Step 2 dishwasher and Fridge from neighbors whose daughter had outgrown them.


Here is Maddie with Abby. See our nice new toy box by Step 2? I pulled this out of the trash right before Christmas. It is in perfect condition.

Gavin has lost his brand new Nintendo DS. I dreamed last night I found it in Nanny's Van...that would be Court's grandma. I doubt it is there...lol but if we were in the states I would sure look just to make sure.

I started the South Beach Diet last Monday and after 6 days I have lost 5 pounds. I am looking forward to the end of phase one and beginning phase 2 where I can have some cereal and fruit.

I miss everyone so very much.... :(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meg, you have had nothing but trouble with this teacher. I strongly suggest you and Court have a meeting with her and discuss with her your concerns. If that doesn't take care of it she has a superior that she answers to - meet with them. That doesn't work I'll start writing cogressmen. That is absurd how much she assigns those kids. Cora has maybe 1 math sheet a day, spelling words and occasionally some sort of language (english) paper. Raise hell Meg. I know you have it in you. If that woman will not take care of the situation with the kid that picks on him go over her effing head. Gavin needs you two to stand up for him! :)

Pictures are great! I am so glad you are posting again! Love and miss you - Berk

Anonymous said...

Brittany has homework everynight that has to be done the next day. She also has time to do it in class too. I would question this lady more then take it to Thad's level.

Remember we are the voice for those kids. You and I pay for that education and this lady seems unhappy at her job or something.

Hope you get it figured out.

BTW love the dora panty shot! :)